1.14.2005

 

Clocking in.

Will here. This class is going to be the defining thing about this semester, and we are going to kick it's bloody ass from here to Quake 4. An RPG is also something I would love to do, but the amount of effort required seems a bit too high. And thanks for volunteering me for writing duty. Bitch. Actually, if we do an RPG, I would love to take some writing duties. I thought maybe we could also recruit Sal to help with art and writing, regardless of our project. He's an English major, after all, so it's not like he has anything else to do. I had also been considering some sort of RTS, since it would allow us to craft the sort of complexity and depth of gameplay that an RPG would provide without needing to put the effort into actually writing a 20 hour script.

I have to say, I'm a wee bit against an action game, only because it seems like a bit of a cop-out. Every dork who ever said "hey, I want to make a computer game!" started by making some crappy FPS. So unless we could come up with one hell of a killer concept, I don't think I'd be real happy with a shooter. It's too eay to make a decent shooter without making a truly fantastic one, and the genre is so saturated that I'd rather not make just another decent one.

The other option would be to go the we-are-just-crazy-amateurs-who-want-to-have-fun route. I was thinking of a game based on Penny Arcade. Like you would be Div on a search for the world's best bottle of Jack Daniels, and you would have to battle Claw Shrimp, or something. Or Salad Master, or any of PA's other throwaway game ideas that are meant as satire but could actually make really fun games.

It is all still pretty early on, so we have lots of decisions to make and discuss.

~Will out.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?